History of Tattoos
The origin of the word ‘tattoo’ is believed to have two major derivations; the first is from the Polynesian word ta which means striking something and the second is the Tahitian word tatau which means ‘to mark something’. The use of tattoos is recorded to have begun thousands of years ago and its history is as varied, colorful and diverse as the people who carry them. Tattoos are created by the insertion of colored materials beneath the skins’ surface. The first tattoos were most likely created unintentionally. Someone with a small wound accidentally rubbed soot or ash into it. Once the wound had healed, they realized that the skin had healed over the ash and that the mark became a permanent addition.
The tradition of tattoos has spread around the world, evolving through time and through cultural influence into a lot of distinct styles. These styles are very recognizable, from oriental styles from Japan and China, Polynesian styles from New-Zealand and Borneo to Celtic and North American styles. Tattoos are everywhere.
The way we work
Fearless stands for professional tattooing by our talented artists, offering a broad range of styles. All our artist work with clean and sterile equipment and we are compliant with all the rules and regulations, ensuring you get the best artwork in a safe environment.
Good equipment for a perfect tattoo
At Fearless we only use needles by Kwadron, they offer high quality needles that stay sharp. Other brands can become blunt during the tattoo process causing more trauma to the skin, making the healing process longer. Sharper and durable needles lead to beter tattoos and a shorter healing process. We feel that Kwadrons are some of the best needles ever made.
Our artists have high quality tattoo flashes available in the shop they would love to tattoo. They can also make a custom design for you. If you are interested, make an appointment to sit down with the artist of your choice and discuss the possibilities. They will create a one of a kind custom design. Just give us a call or sent us an email. If you are not sure which artist to choose you are always welcome in the shop to talk with one of the floormanagers for advice.
If you are under 18 you can only get tattooed with permission of your parents, they will need to come together with you at your appointment.
After you get tattooed, we will give you advice how to take care of your new tattoo. We will also give you a form with the instructions. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call the shop.
Some basic guidelines
• Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo!
• Remove bandage/plastic wrap within 2-3 hours after getting your tattoo. After that leave it off (except maybe the first night for larger tattoos).
• During the first night, you may want to wrap your tattoo to prevent sticking to your bedding. Do not use any bandages as this material can stick to your tattoo.
• Gently wash your tattoo with an anti-bacterial liquid soap (like UniCura). Don’t scrub, it’s an open wound.
• Gently pat your tattoo dry with a clean towel.
• During the first two weeks, rub a small amount of ointment on your tattoo, at least four times a day. We advice Bepanthen ointment. Always use clean hands and use as little as possible. Do not use Vaseline, as that will hinder the healing by covering the wound/tattoo.
• On the 3rd or 4th day your tattoo will begin to peel. This is normal! Do not pick at the skin.
Things to avoid:
• Do not pick or scratch your tattoo.
• Showering is okay, but you should not soak your tattoo until it’s healed. So no swimming or bathing.
• Watch out with direct sunlight for at least 5 weeks. After healing you should use sunblock to keep your tattoo looking good.
If you have any questions about your tattoo or the healing process, please call us at 070 212 9878 or e-mail.